It’s an extremely busy time of year in the real estate market, and whether you’re buying or selling or both, that probably means that you have a move in your future. Moving can be an overwhelming experience, made even more difficult by the fact that most people don’t do it that often. So today, with the help of Coldwell Banker’s Blue Matter blog, we thought we’d offer you some of our best realtor-approved moving tips.
- Inventory your belongings. Going room to room and writing down anything of value in that room (including serial numbers if applicable) will help you if something gets broken or goes missing in transit.
- Pack a bag or clear plastic bin with essentials — toilet paper, paper towels, scissors, trash bags, a corkscrew (trust us). Transport this bag yourself so that when you’re facing a sea of boxes, you have exactly what you need to start unpacking.
- Change your address at the post office 2 weeks before you move in. A change of address takes 7-10 business days to go into effect.
- If you have kids, consider getting a sitter for moving day. This will make your life less stressful and allow you to get a head start on placing the furniture and unpacking the big stuff without distractions.
- Label boxes carefully. Include both what’s inside of them and which room they should go to.
- To pack toiletries, remove the tops, place plastic wrap over the openings and replace the tops.
- Take a photo of the back of your TV/stereo/home theater/etc before you take it apart for transport. That will it be easy to reconnect everything at the new house.
- Make your last grocery trip two weeks prior to moving.
What are your favorite moving tips? We’d love to hear them!
File: moving tips